I became a fan of Brussels Sprouts a couple of years ago. I love how versatile they are! I usually make them with bacon, but for my holiday party I had a few friends that didn’t eat pork so I needed to come up with a vegetarian version. In the spirit of the holidays, I threw in some cranberries and candied pecans. Yum! The base recipe is the same, other variations you can make, bacon, maple bacon, honey Sriracha, mushrooms and grated Parmesan, pine nuts, sweet potatoes… the possibilities are endless.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 10 min
Total time: 20 min
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, ends cut off and halved, washed
- 3 cloves smashed garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/8 cup dried cranberries
- 1/8 cup chopped candied pecans
- Heat a pan that has a cover on medium-high heat
- Add 1 TBSP of olive oil and garlic, saute for 30 seconds, lower to medium heat
- Add prepped Brussels sprouts, let the sprouts brown a bit before stirring, about 1 min depending on the strength of your stove top. Do this 2-3 times
- Add 1 TBSP of water, mix and cover. This helps them cook faster. After 2 min, try a sprout and see if it’s cooked through enough. If your sprouts are on the bigger side, you may need to repeat.
- Lower the heat to low. Add maple syrup to taste, try about 1 tbsp first, then throw in some dried cranberries, and top with regular or candied pecans.